The Virtual Orchestra
July 11-23 at the Ravinia Tent on the North Lawn
Take a seat within the Philharmonia Orchestra of London as it plays the thrilling climax from Sibelius's Fifth Symphony under the baton of principal conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen—a once-in-a-lifetime vantage point in this unique virtual-reality experience.
ADMISSION IS FREE for those attending concerts but paid park admission is required. FREE tickets are now available below on this page for ordering in advance. Tickets will also be available at the box office on the date of your concert. Subject to availability.
Salonen introduces the Virtual Orchestra
Viewers will sit inside the orchestra, hear the individual sounds of the players, and watch Salonen interpret the Finnish composer’s masterwork. Bespoke binaural recordings create an audio experience to match the scale of the visuals; viewers will feel the audio shift accordingly as they moves their heads – you will even hear the turning of the pages!
Choose a version:
The Complete Salonen and Sibelius Experience (15 minutes): This version includes an extended intro by conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen and the complete final movement of Sibelius’s 5th.
The Climactic Finale to Sibelius’s Fifth Symphony (5 minutes): This version focuses on the breathtaking, concluding moments of the final movement of Sibelius’s 5th, with a brief introduction by Esa-Pekka Salonen.
Order Tickets (select day and time)
- ADMISSION IS FREE to ticketholders of that evening’s concert. (Paid park admission is required.)
- No children under 7 years of age. Guests under 12 years of age be accompanied by an adult who will be required to sign a waiver on thier behalf. Guests under 15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult to view The Virtual Orchestra.
- Please arrive early. Your Virtual Orchestra experience is reserved until 5 minutes before the time of your Virtual Orchestra ticket. If you have not checked in by 5 minutes before your reserved time, we will release your ticket to the next patron in line.
- The Virtual Orchestra is limited to two tickets per person per date.The Virtual Orchestra is not suitable for those who suffer from epilepsy, seizures, heart conditions, vertigo, dizziness, or similar medical conditions; take medication to prevent such conditions; or have a history of blackouts or fainting.
- Some people may experience motion sickness, nausea, disorientation, blurred vision, or other discomfort while viewing virtual reality content. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop viewing immediately, remove the headset, and alert a host.