Ravinia Associates Membership Guide
Thank you for your interest in membership on the Ravinia Associates Board! You may already know someone on the board, or have been to a Ravinia concert or two, but there’s likely a lot of information you may not know about our board—most of which you will find below. We are looking forward to getting to know you as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The Ravinia Associates Board is a premier group of over 90 Chicagoland young professionals who share a passion for Ravinia and the musical arts.
- Its mission is to support Ravinia by promoting awareness of the festival and its musical programs, encouraging the development of new audiences for classical music, and contributing to Ravinia’s Reach*Teach*Play® education programs. To date we have raised over $3 million for the festival and its education and community enrichment programs.
- Membership is targeted to individuals who are around the age of 45 and younger at time of enrollment.
- Prospective members should be interested in the mission and objectives of the board and be willing and able to devote time to fulfill the responsibilities of membership.
- Financial responsibilities include paying annual membership dues, supporting fundraising efforts, and contributing to Ravinia’s Annual Fund.
- Meeting requirements include quarterly board meetings and various committee meetings as needed for event planning and group operation.
- Read the full list of membership responsibilities and privileges.
- The Associates extend offers to join the board once a year in late August/early September.
- Typically the board will host two open houses over the summer, inviting anyone who has applied for membership.
- Prospective members are strongly encouraged to attend the open houses sponsored by the board during the summer.
- If you are not able to attend an open house, please work with the Membership co-chairmen to schedule a one-on-one visit.
- Passion for classical music, including education and audience development
- Experience with fundraising and/or soliciting items for auction
- Diverse personal and professional backgrounds
- Click here to complete your membership application online.
- While not required, it’s strongly encouraged to meet current board members and attend some of the Associates’ events—such as the Music Matters benefit in May and the board’s audience development events that take place on Ravinia’s lawn during the summer—before applying. If you don’t know any current members, please let the Membership co-chairmen know, and they will provide introductions to other board members.
- Unless there is a special circumstance, decisions on new board members are made around the end of August/early September.
- You will be notified whether the board has accepted or rejected your application.
- If you are accepted, you will be expected to be at the Associates’ Annual Meeting, typically in late September.
- If you are rejected, you may apply the following year. There are no restrictions on how many times you may apply to the board.